Skip to main content

Be Yourself at University

At the beginning of university, I was very shy. Instead of going out and meeting new people. I would spend my evening face-timing, my friends, from home. On the third day of being in this new city, I finally decided to go on a night out with a girl I had met around the university campus. She wanted to do a pres with a couple of her other friends and I was very nervous and excited to meet more people and finally live the university dream that I had made up in my head.

I got ready in my accommodation for the night out and while I was getting ready I remembered my friend from home, Jeffery's, advice. He would always say the remedy to fight nerves is two shots of vodka before you go out. I'm definitely not the biggest alcohol drinker as I could never handle the taste but I followed his words of wisdom. I was starting to feel more comfortable and less nervous as I made my way to my new friend's accommodation. Once I was there with her and her friends, everyone started taking more and more shots. Not just of vodka but gin, tequila, and jagers. It's as if chasers just don't exist at university and everyone can take shots like water. 

October 2019
I can't actually remember how much I drank that night. What I do remember is standing up and walking to the elevator to start the night and waking up in a hospital bed with a band on my wrist stating my name and date of birth. My head was aching as a nurse asked me why I drank so much. The new friend I had made wasn't around me, and I couldn't find anyone I recognised. When I decided I wanted to go I realised my phone had turned off and as I was new to the city I didn't know how to get home.

Eventually, I made it back to my accommodation. I am no longer friends with that person I nearly when out with. Instead, I met different people who I feel comfortable with without having to take shots of alcohol. 

My tip for someone new to university is to be yourself. If you don't usually drink alcohol or like alcohol- don't have alcohol or at least know your limits. 

Arabelle Akinfe

Comments