All the youtube videos and articles on university always mention how university is so much fun but they never really mention how depressing university can get. All because of how lonely university can be. In my case, I decided to go to a university that was 2 hours away from home and where no one from my sixth form went to so I felt very lonely during the beginning of uni. I was always scared about messaging people about how lonely I was feeling because I didn't want there pity. I think that's why no one mentions the loneliness of university life in all the youtube videos and articles- they don't want pity. I'm in my second term of university and I have a great group of friends, but it wasn't easy. This blog post is for the people that are going through their lonely period at uni as I will be telling you exactly how to make the right friends at uni.
Joining a group/club- Everyone is looking to make a new friend in a club. I actually decided to join the cheerleading team at my university. Can I do any sort of cheerleading? Absolutely not! I'm not going to lie. I mainly joined cheer because I wanted to wear a cheerleading outfit and live out my Bring It On 'sh-boo-ya roll call' fantasy. Not only have I managed to live out my fantasy, but I've also had the opportunity to make some friends and learn a couple cheerleading tricks too. You can even join a society if you aren't the athletic type. I joined the Christian society to meet people who had the same interests as me.
Be a leech- According to the Oxford dictionary, a leech is "a person who extorts profit from or sponges on others." That is exactly what you must be at the beginning of university. For example; once I became friends with one girl, I hung out with her loads that I became friends with her friends. Therefore, her friends became my friends.
If you are feeling lonely at university or if you just haven't been able to make many friends at uni, I hope this advice blog post helped.
Arabelle Akinfe
arabelleakinfe@gmail.com
![]() |
| me and some of my cheer squad (OCT2019) |
Your Accommodation- You could be one of the lucky few that somehow managed to score a flat with some amazing strangers that end up being your best friends or if you're like me you can make friends by meeting randomers in your accommodation. That's actually how I met one of my closest uni friends so far. In my accommodation, students will have random link up in someone's kitchen. One evening I decided to put my brave face on and go to one of the link ups.
Be a leech- According to the Oxford dictionary, a leech is "a person who extorts profit from or sponges on others." That is exactly what you must be at the beginning of university. For example; once I became friends with one girl, I hung out with her loads that I became friends with her friends. Therefore, her friends became my friends.
If you are feeling lonely at university or if you just haven't been able to make many friends at uni, I hope this advice blog post helped.
Arabelle Akinfe
arabelleakinfe@gmail.com

Comments
Post a Comment