Skip to main content

Why Depop Sucks Now

don't remember how old I was when I first used the virtual thrift store, Depop. It was either 2014 or 2015. I know this because I brought one of those American Apparel tennis skirts that you just needed to be classified as grungy and cool according to Tumblr. This was during the era of being obsessed with The Arctic Monkeys, The 1975s, or The Neighbourhood. Ah, the good days. When you could buy a £30 skirt for half the price at Depop. 

susa musa Archives - HADIDSCLOSET

Why Depop Kinda Sucks


Aliexpress Resellers

      Definition: Sellers that buy clothes on Aliexpress for a cheaper price and sell of Depop for double. The description would state that the clothes "will take 2-4 weeks shipping". The pictures used to describe the pieces of clothing are usually a celebrity or Instagram influencer. 

       The reason they suck: The 2-4 week shipping is awful. There's a chance the clothes will be of bad quality and most likely look different compared to the influencer. I recommend risking it for yourself on Aliexpress for half the price.


West London Resellers

      Definition: This is not limited to people that live in West London. These sellers live in rich areas, like West London, where the charity shops people will be giving away much better items of clothes for a cheaper price. The 'West London' seller can then list designer pieces they brought for £3 for £60 on Depop.

       The reason they suck: They suck because they are so lucky they live in richer areas where there are nice bits in charity shops and not just clothes your grandma would buy you. I think I might just be jealous. I recommend going to the richer side of town yourself.


Incorrect Tags/ Descriptions

      Definition: A seller that brought a top from Forever 21 in 2012 and tagged or described it as y2k, vintage, deadstock, Paris Hilton Vibes, 90s vibes on Depop.

      The reason they suck: People looking for y2k or deadstock clothing are now bombarded with clothes that Bethany Mota could have worn in 2013. No thank you. 


Overpriced Hyped Clothing

      Definition: (AKA the Brandy Melville cult) An example of this behaviour could be with the recent trend of the Slazenger tennis skort. A skirt selling on Sports Direct for £9 was being sold up to £50. Sellers usually buy a bulk of these hyped clothing, trying to get as much money as possible.

      The reason they suck: I feel like this is lying to the people buying it. They think they are getting a good deal but are getting scammed. I recommend searching online for clothes first.

Arabelle Akinfe
Instagram: ar.4belle
Twitter: arabelleakinfex

Comments